Special Operator’s Permits




Special Operator’s Permits

Posted on : August 17, 2018

Special Operator’s Permits (Work Permits & Education Permits)

After you are stopped and arrested for drunk driving in Connecticut, the police officer will provide you with a choice:

  1. to submit to a chemical test (breath, blood, or urine) to determine your blood alcohol content (“BAC”),
  2. or to refuse to submit to such a test.  

Whether you submit to the test or refuse, your license or privilege to drive will be suspended 45-day suspension, to start 30 days after the date of your arrest.  


A 45-day suspension of your license (for in-state residents) or privilege (for out-of-state residents) to drive in Connecticut can wreak havoc upon your employment and/or schooling, particularly when you need to drive to get to and from your job or classes.

Luckily, first offenders in the drunk driving realm have the option of obtaining a Special Operator’s Permit to help them through this difficult time.  

Special Operator’s Permit

The first thing to do is get, fill out, and file an application.  Special Operator’s Permits in Connecticut come in two forms: 1) a Work Permit, and 2) an Education Permit.  The applications for each type of permit can be found online.  You can apply for one or the other, or both, depending upon your needs. Further, you can fill out these forms right on your computer, and then print them out.  

Work Permit Application

With a Work Permit application, you will need to break out a 12 hour period for each day, and then plan your work schedule for the 45 day suspension period to stay within those 12 hour periods for each day.  That is the period within which you will be allowed to drive.  Beyond that, your supervisor at work will need to sign off on this. And if you are self-employed, you will need to send in proof of that fact in the form of a state-issued tax ID card or your most recent business income tax return.

Education Permit Application

With an Education Permit application, you will need to provide a certified copy of your class and exam schedule that shows the days, times, and locations for every class.  Beyond that, you will also need to provide a completed FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) Release. You can get both of these from your school.

Out-Of-State Drivers

Finally, if you are an out-of-state driver who needs to drive in Connecticut during the period of suspension, you will need to provide a certified copy of your driving record from the state where you are licensed.  

Whatever you decide to do, you, you will need to complete your application(s) and send them to the DMV, with the necessary fees ($100.00 per application), at least 2 weeks before the start of your 45 day suspension, as it takes the DMV up to 10 business days to process them.

Get Help Today

J. Christopher Llinas at Llinas Law, LLC understands the complexities of fighting for those charged with drunk driving offenses in Connecticut, both before the Connecticut DMV and in the Connecticut Courts.  Contact him to discuss your case, by phone at 860-530-1781, or by email at llinaslawct@gmail.com.


Comments are closed.